Time and place

Friday, 4 May 2007

Practicalities and Realities

I’ve got a job, four days a week for a nine-month contract. After several months of living off savings this has to be A Good Thing.

- It is no longer sunny. I’m still glad to be here.

- Almost cried with frustration today as I tried to get the photocopier function of my printer to work. Five months of having the damn thing in storage is enough time for me to forget about such details and my tolerance of computer equipment snafus is very low. I thought I’d found a local computer support person but he has stopped answering emails or telephone calls. Perhaps he’s fled the country. And I can't find the printer instruction book. Lost in transit no doubt.

- I used to think if ever I sold my soul it would be to a plumber or anyone who can make sense of flatpack furniture assembly instructions. I am adding computer support person to the list.

- As of today I’m still getting my photocopies done at the library at 20p a sheet.

- On a different, and very basic topic, does anyone who has travelled or moved home with a cat have any tips on how to persuade their lord and master to return to using the bosom of Mother Earth for, um, elimination purposes after several months of litter tray luxury?

12 comments:

Jan said...

Congratulations on the job; the 4/3 combination is a good one, I reckon.

Commiserations on the PC related problems - I do sympathise!

As for the other problem...could you try a few purposeful walks in the garden? If all else fails, buy some bedding plants, dig the garden and plant them. It works for my mob.

Jan said...

Delighted for you about the job [as you know, the 4/3 split works for me.] And I totally empathise about the PC related hassle; I've always thought that's why the work windows don't open: so you can't throw out printers/scanners/PCs.

Not sure how to advise re cat: purposeful walks in the garden, pehaps? Or just dig over a patch of soil, plant some seedlings and wait?

Jan

Jan said...

And now in stereo...

Sorry, trying to master Blogger.

J

mm said...

Jan: I love it. Thank you for the empathy! :-)

mm said...

Jan: ... and I particularly like the seedlings suggestion!

Jess D'Zerts said...

Aw, I just wanna curl up there next to the cat and be at home! This is the voice of envy speaking!

Hmm, maybe try putting the litterbox outside?

Unknown said...

That is fantastic news about the job and understandable frustration with the printer. I'll bet you find a geek soon who willbe able toclaer up the issue with a simple fix! Congratulations on the job!

LJ said...

Sympathy on the snafus. My tolerance is pretty low too.
As to your "lord and master"...I think time is the solution. When his highness is good and ready, he'll take his business outside. Never met a cat who could be pushed past his/her own pace!

mm said...

Jess: thanks for the reminder that the cat is wonderful for cuddling - in spite of everything ..

LJ: thanks for the empathy. I can be tolerant with a lot of things, but not computers and related equipment.

Michael: Really, really nice to see you here. I'm on the lookout for a local geek!

Katherine Turner said...

. . . oh The Pain of finding new People Who Assist when we set up home in a new land :) . . . i've never had my kitties be outdoors kitties but if i ever make any changes to their toiletry setup i always do the hold the front paws for them and scratch the ground (like they automatically do to cover their business up) good luck! :) (and no more pooper scooping! i can't even imagine . . . :) kate of http://datinggod.typepad.com (for some reason blogger won't let me sign in with my real blog address - it signs me in as a dead end profile with no link and nothing i can do will change it :)

MB said...

Wonderful news on the job! 4 days sounds perfect to me. And the sun will return.

It's been a long time since I had a cat. Perhaps moving the litterbox progessively toward the door, then out to where you want his Majesty to go?

I'm soon to plant my garden and Jan's suggestion of seedlings made me laugh!

mm said...

Katherine: I'll try the holding the paws thing this weekend ...

MB: Thank you. Actually we really needed the rain.... The litter tray is already outside whenever the cat is, so maybe eventually he'll realise!

About Me