See, how straight and square they stand on their legs.
See, what fine sagacious eyes.
See, what fine sagacious eyes.
- The Ox-Tamer, Walt Whitman
It is the time of year for things Taurean and anyway my four-legged neighbours fascinate me. They are a mixed bunch, some a beautiful shade of toffee fudge, a few black, the majority brown and white. The colouring of this last group is so subtle you need to see them in real life to appreciate the tones: cappucino blending into a smokey, grey-brown around the head and neck.
No raging bulls here. Who could be afraid of such peaceable beasts? They turn and watch me approach. A couple of them start to wander over in my direction then stop and stare. No threat, just a slow, incurious curiosity.
Oh, and I've learned something I didn't know. When cows, or bullocks in this case, get up they do so hindquarters first.
I've obviously been a townie for too long.
No raging bulls here. Who could be afraid of such peaceable beasts? They turn and watch me approach. A couple of them start to wander over in my direction then stop and stare. No threat, just a slow, incurious curiosity.
Oh, and I've learned something I didn't know. When cows, or bullocks in this case, get up they do so hindquarters first.
I've obviously been a townie for too long.
The rest of Whitman's visual, almost mythic, poem is here.
10 comments:
I am very pleased to see your new blog. You have often been in my thoughts. I am glad you are settling into your new home in the country and have found some work – I hope it will enjoyable. I hope this new journey in your life will be rewarding .
PS I like your new “neighbours”.
"Sagacious" is not what I have thought when they've refused to budge out of the middle of the road! ;-) But I'm off to read the poem and find out why he thinks so. And thanks for the link to Kiva — very interesting.
Thanks so much for visiting me. I enjoyed reading this post and will be back! :)
Starnitesky: Thanks for dropping by. Nice to see you again.
MB: I wonder if you are now convinced? :-)
Michael: .. and always a pleasure to see you.
Trade you neighbours? Please?
Toffee fudge indeed. What gorgeous creatures. Thankyou for the Whitman link.
Five years ago when I completed the second half of the Coast-to-Coast, we walked in fields with the neighbors of which you speak. I love your description of them - that's just how I found them to be! I look forward to my walk this June along Hadrian's Wall. I wonder if I will see these "sagacious eyes" again. If I do, I will surely think of you!
LJ: Well, knowing how much I like Canadian accents I might just take you up on this. :-)
hhb: I'm sure there's a more technical term than toffee fudge but I don't know it.
Tamar: I wish you cows as gentle as these, and beautiful sunny days for your walk.
Um, no, not really. ;-) I am certainly willing to grant that there is *something* there! But "sagacity" isn't exactly how I'd characterize it, and unfortunately, I don't think he does much more than declare it... or at least, he didn't succeed in convincing me. But then perhaps I just have to narrow a definition!
MB: ;-)
Post a Comment