Time and place

Wednesday, 2 May 2007

Beltane Moon

Beltane Moon 3

The air was still warm at 8.00pm. I took a walk by the river as the Beltane Full Moon floated up from the folds of the wooded hills on the far side of the railway line. The chorus of birdsong - blackbird, thrush and others that I could not identify - already loud, seemed to reach a crescendo but maybe this was my imagination ....

The countryside hereabouts is soft, feminine, with the curves of its rounded hills, the meandering river and green fields dotted with grazing cattle. It luxuriates with life: animals, birds, insects, trees, plants. So extraordinary, to watch the moon rise in the midst of it all.

I'm totally bewitched by the beauty of this place. Yes, the sun is shining, it's May, and yes I know it isn't like this in January because I've been here. It's often grey and damp and you can't see the tops of the hills because they're enveloped in mist. And of course the excitement of new love, for places and people, has to give way to something else eventually and I don't know what that will look or feel like. But today it doesn't matter.

7 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

Oh sigh! Thankyou for taking me on your walk. I reckon that even when it becomes grey and misty it will still be beautiful.

mm said...

A pleasure to have you come along, HHB. :-)

Jess D'Zerts said...

Oh, mm, how lovely!

LJ said...

Soooo lovely, MM. "Bewitching" is the perfect word for the photograph...what a beautiful place.

mm said...

Jess, LJ: thank you.

And lj, bewitching seemed appropriate to me too.

MB said...

Beautiful photo and description — almost felt I was there!

mm said...

MB: Glad you liked it. It was a gorgeous evening.

About Me