Time and place

Wednesday, 9 May 2007

Kiva

I have Kate from one of my favourite blogs, Dating God , to thank for putting me onto Kiva.

What is it? In the words of the website:

We let you loan to the working poor. Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back.

I've just chipped in with my first loan to a partner. You don't have to pledge a large amount, you can start small, and if, like me, you live permanently with a queasy sense of financial insecurity, then participating in something like this is a pretty good reminder that some problems are relative.

There's more at these links about microfinance or microcredit. Kiva certainly doesn't solve the problem of world poverty but perhaps it might be a small part of the answer. It is an internet-based outfit, so imagine what might happen if even 1 blogger in 100 (or 1,000) loaned a small amount.

A human connection is made as well. Go on the Kiva website and you'll see what I mean.

4 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

What a great site...thanks for the link!

LJ said...

MM - I'm barely talking these days, except about beadwork - but I have to tell you I was SO excited to see this site. You know the old saying (and I may have it slightly wrong but get the idea):
"Give a man a fish & you feed him for a day/ Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself for life"
This kind of organization goes a step farther in assuming that "a man" already knows how to fish and just needs a line and hook. It's wonderful.

Katherine Turner said...

. . . right!?! knowing that i'm partnered with a sheep farmer in Azerbaijan is one of the freakin best feelings :) glad you posted about it too . . . :) kate http://datinggod.typepad.com

mm said...

bb49/lj: so pleased you are as enthused about this as I am.

Kate: ... and thank you!

About Me