Time and place

Thursday, 31 May 2007

Found












Picture from the Design Factory website. Click to enlarge.

We found this tiny cafe/art gallery with exhibits by three different artists: paintings, pottery and - the ones that caught my eye - textile art by Laura McCafferty.

At first you smile because the subject matter is often tongue-in-cheek, the figures well-drawn (from life), and the artist's skill with textiles and embroidery and the use of colour and pattern make them a sensory treat.

Then you look more closely. Groups of middle aged ladies chatting or playing bingo, a weary woman on the Tube, a solitary man in a downmarket cafe.

In other words, the human condition. These are works of pathos as well as humour and - as often is the case - each emphasises the other. Ordinary people talking, dancing, staring into space. Getting by. Laura McCafferty's affection for her subjects is unexpectedly moving, and much as I'm attracted to them I'm not sure whether I could cope with one of these collages on my wall. Her observational skills cut too close to the bone for comfort.

I can't get the link to the artist's website to work on my laptop, but I tried on the work computer during the lunch hour and it was just fine. Browser problems no doubt so I will leave it up. Better anyway to see textile art in real life - the texture and substance of the cloths used are so vital to the finished work - but the links do give a flavour.

5 comments:

LJ said...

I like the work, too. I think women are often masters of seeing large truths in small, "ordinary" moments.

herhimnbryn said...

I like this work. Truthful and poignant.

Dale said...

Yes.

Anonymous said...

Great pieces. Thanks for the link.

mm said...

Glad you all like her too.

About Me