Time and place

Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Arrival

Spikey

The tulips were blowsy and past their best that lunchtime last April when our van pulled up outside the house. But the splash of colour of the two-toned red and yellow flowers in the front garden was welcoming as I struggled out of the passenger seat clutching the cat basket. I had hardly slept the previous night and it had been a four hour journey. The cat - poor thing - had protested loudly until we reached Ross, when he had no choice but to give in to the call of nature. We pulled over and Bill went for a cigarette while I did the necessary. (My sister had the bright idea of using incontinence pads - one to start the journey with plus a couple of replacements in case of such an occurrence - at the base of his basket).

l was apprehensive that I wouldn't be able to find the key for the front door - the bunch of keys we had collected half an hour earlier from the estate agent's offices in town seemed more suited in size to Fort Knox than a modest semi. My fears were, of course, unjustified - it transpired that there were three copies of each one. Sally the estate agent, at probably half my age, had asked if I would mind waiting while a colleague popped out to the local florist to buy a pink hyacinth as a house-warming present. This may have been company policy but I was touched and found it a niche on a sunny windowsill.

After unloading the boxes and cartons Bill set off home to Sussex. The furniture in storage locally was delivered shortly afterwards. Water, gas and electricity all worked. I released the cat from his portable prison, drank a mug of tea, read the meters and made arrangements with a friend to go shopping for a washing machine and fridge the following day. Oh, and did a bit of unpacking. All surprisingly straightforward after the stress of the previous months.

Top down

That freezing weather of a few weeks back is past - for now - sunlight floods the garden and a strong wind blows from the south west. The daffodils are in full flower and those red and yellow tulips are opening. Nearly eleven months later the sight of them once again outside the kitchen window, drawn upwards inexorably through the dark earth by warmth and light, leaves me jubilant and relieved.

This spring the signs of change and rebirth have particular resonance.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flowers are lovely. Here the new grass is beginning to peak through the winter brown mulch that's been left behind by snow and ice. But no flowers yet. I long for color. Thanks for letting me imagine spring has truly arrived here in the high desert!

herhimnbryn said...

How the time has flown for you! And the flowers in the garden were waiting to say Happy Spring to you!

Barbara said...

The flower is beautiful, time has passed very quickly since your move. I hope you have not regretted moving and are happy and settled in your new home.

Sky said...

wow, that we will soon be celebrating your anniversary in this new home is amazing.

spring this year is of special significance to me, too. it was a difficult year, and i am hoping this one will be marked with better health and less stress. i am just about to take a walk into the gardens to delight myself with new blooms! :)

mm said...

Thank you everyone. It doesn't do to be too optimistic as the weather forecast has just told us that snow is a possibility in the next few days :-) .....

mm said...

Sky: I know how hard this year has been for you. Hoping that spring brings continued strength and healing.

leslee said...

Wow, you've been there almost a year already? Hope it's feeling more and more like home.

mm said...

Leslee. I know! I can hardly believe it myself. Yes, it feels much more like home, particularly with the onset of spring.

mrsnesbitt said...

How lovely! My tulips are starting to peep through now......in time for the cold weather forecast for the weekend.

Greetings from north Yorkshire.

About Me