Time and place

Sunday, 24 February 2008

Moderation

Leaves

An interesting week and it looks as if the coming seven days will have their moments as well. Nothing like a total lunar eclipse to stir things up. None of it bears blogging about for the moment, but it's been a reminder that life is nothing if unpredictable.

Thanks for the comments on the previous post. One of the things that gives blogging its fascination is the ability that it affords to chronicle and celebrate a few moments of an icy, dank February morning in a country town in the Marches. The creation of a post allows me the space to contemplate and experience my own world more deeply and thoughtfully and I can share the moments with others worldwide, most of whom I will probably never meet. Blogging as a creative and meditative tool, creating an invisible spider's web of links across the planet as we exchange pieces of our lives. And there are millions of us doing it. All those webs.

I need to limit my time on the internet though often I'm tempted not to. Mostly I manage to find the balance. When I don't my wellbeing suffers. It comes back to the concept of moderation. Not my natural home, and not where I've spent a good part of my life, but, heaven knows, the alternative is counterproductive. I'm getting older and increasingly body, mind and soul need me to aim for a state of equilibrium, however unfamiliar this may feel. I can't afford to waste these years.

****

Because I can't resist, a couple of other photographs of those murky, beautiful days. To see enlarged versions of these or any of the pictures on the blog, click on the photograph and go into Flickr, then select All Sizes.


Bird

9 comments:

Sky said...

I am always in awe of how technology allows us to connect in such personal ways as often as we choose, share and learn, create a variety of relationships, "meet" people we would otherwise never know, and if we are really lucky meet a few in person. It is so easy to spend too much time on-line and neglect some other area of our lives. I find I have this tendency more in winter when I spend more time inside.

I hope the coming week is interesting but not problematic! Mine begins with reporting to the hospital at 5:45 AM for surgery (same issue) at 7 AM :( Then we must schedule a spa repair for our hot tub for leaking pipes and a loud motor making a rattling noise. Of course, we have turned it off, so now the water is not being filtered. If we drain it the repair person can't analyze the problem. It is always something...

Barbara said...

I agree blogging and reading blogs can become quite addictive,(look at the time!!) I have to limit myself too due to all the other things one has to do. I enjoy the contact with people from all over the world and an glimpse into their lives reminds me of travelling on a train and seeing into houses as one speeds by.

Keep posting those wonderful photos of the misty days. They are inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I limit myself to reading only a few very favorite blogs because of the time investment, but I savor those blogs (and yours is one of them!). Thank you for the pictures. They are evocative.

mm said...

Sky: You'll be in my thoughts for the surgery. xo

Starnitesky: That train analogy is an interesting one .. and thanks for the encouragement.

TkY; Thank you. You're welcome.:-)

Everydaythings said...

I can remember the smell of those leaves, in the woods where we used to walk in the UK. Cold , damp leaves smell oh so differently over here than there. The rime on them makes it look so cold. I like reading yor blog, and wish you posted more of your life. It is a balance though, and sometimes I have to admit I am a lover of internet excess...too many blogs to read and savour.

leslee said...

Those are gorgeous photos. And I hear you about holding time for yourself offline. I've been enjoying myself being here where there is so much to do, but it's easy to overcommit and overdo. Time for quiet and contemplation gets rare. Good to take that time back.

mm said...

Leslee. Thanks. And I agree. :-)

mm said...

Krissie: As always, thank you. You're right I think to pick up on the smell of winter. You need to have experienced it to recognise it .....

Crafty Green Poet said...

stunningly atmospheric photos! I know what you mean about the creative potential of blogging, but at the same time needing to not let it take over...

About Me