Time and place

Thursday, 7 February 2008

Spring Walk

The weather offered a foretaste of April: soft rain alternating with fleeting bursts of sunlight. Sometimes both at once. With the new job starting soon this week has a poignant, end-of-the-holidays feel about it, free days measured as a diminishing and precious commodity. After an inactive weekend and in response to a gnawing urge to make the best of Monday, mid-morning I set off westward along the riverbank heading for Breinton Springs, a few miles away.

The narrow path was so slippery with mud and puddles the immediate task was to stay upright. A couple of hikers - a middle aged man and woman - picking their way gingerly through the mud from the other direction, smiled as they went by, the three of us cheerfully bonded in self-inflicted adversity. It didn't matter. The mist of raindrops was so gentle on my face, it resembled a cool caress.

Suddenly a large buzzard rose over the bare branches of the surrounding trees. He was joined by two others - a male and a female - and a loud dog-fight (for want of a better term) broke out overhead between the two males. They came together repeatedly, clashing then withdrawing, their eerie, mewing cries reverberating over the valley.

The losing male flew off, vanquished.

Breinton Spring

The spring. A trickle of clear water issues from a horizontal crack in a tree-covered escarpment of red standstone a dozen yards from the river. No habitation and no signs to speak of, though it appears on the local maps, just a grassy access track leading towards it from the Wye Valley walk. A mysterious, intimate, feminine place if you overlook the discarded cigarette packets. I hate litter. I couldn't bear to leave them there, so scooped up the sodden cardboard and found a rubbish bin later.

Homewards via a different tracery of paths and lanes. A steep climb then a track leading past cider apple orchards incongruously protected by high, barbed-wire fencing. To the right the wooded drop down to the river, in the distance to the left, green fields and hills.

The rain had more or less stopped and everywhere were visual pleasures: the clump of wild snowdrops in an abandoned orchard .....

Snowdrops after rain

the warm, red brick and classic lines of a farm outhouse ....

Farm buildings

....and a very faint rainbow's end in an adjoining field. A minute or two later it had vanished completely.

Rainbow's end

More pictures from the walk here.

****

I'm looking forward - cautiously - to the new job. It's a simple, part-time admin position, but the department provides a service that's indirectly useful to the wider community and my soon-to-be colleagues seem friendly and congenial. It will be a relief to have a small but steady income and a definite, though not stifling, structure to the week. I need both badly.

9 comments:

Everydaythings said...

that country lane is so beautiful SO home to me... I miss places like these livin over here. I guess UK will always have that pull for me.

Everydaythings said...

oh ps...goodluck with your new job too!

Anonymous said...

We used to walk in a place called Knocksink Woods near where we lived in Ireland. Mum always had us bring bags to pick up trash. Still, to this day, I can't bear to leave litter in beautiful places.

And that snowdrop picture. It brings back memories...

leslee said...

OMG, it's really spring where you are. We are in the midst of the infamous "wintry mix" of snow and sleet, or wet stuff that melts and then freezes up. We are lucky normally to have lots of blue sky here, even in winter, but we're having a bit of a run of overcast and the aforementioned precipitation. How lovely to see those snowdrops - not the kind we have! And it'll be probably 3 months before we see the first crocuses. Sigh.

Sky said...

such lovely countryside. how in the world did you learn all the lanes and paths you take to get to your destinations? it seems like you have so many shortcuts through beautiful scenery, and this one by the orchard seems like a narrow path. i am afraid i would be lost and end up in someone's backyard!

good luck with the new job. it sounds like it meets your current needs perfectly. :)

herhimnbryn said...

Good luck with the job. Thankyou for taking us on the walk. The Snowdrops left me feeling cool.

Barbara said...

I do hope the new job is the right one for you. What beautiful countryside to walk in. I love the photo of the snowdrops.

mm said...

Krissie: I lived overseas for a long period once. I know what you mean. Thanks.

Tky: I like that story of your mother very much.

Leslee: 3 months to the crocuses! Wow. We are exceptionally warm this week, admittedly ...

Sky: This is the second time I've done this particular walk. Much easier to navigate than the first!

HHB: You're more than welcome.

Starnitesky: Thank you. :-)

VP said...

Lovely pictures. And good luck in the new job too :)

About Me