Time and place

Sunday, 2 March 2008

Perspectives

. Compared to the daunting size of some London art galleries the Welsh national collection is built on a human scale. The few rooms are relatively small so it is possible to do them all justice in a couple of hours and then, if you wish, to make a day of it and take in the museum part of the building. Just how museums and galleries ought to be. Having been duly beguiled by Renoir and rendered nostalgic by Sisley, I was jolted awake by a Welsh artist new to me, Kevin Sinnott. For a start, who could resist a painting with such a title? I love its size and energy, the crazy perspective and the unanswered questions, e.g. Why aren't they holding hands?

. After many months of almost no book reading, I've just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Set in a dark version of the 1990s the story unfolds at a slow, painstaking pace and at the end left me uncomfortable but, goodness, it should be read. It won't be a hardship either as the book is beautifully written and from one perspective it is purely about human relationships and how we are each of us influenced and dominated by our pasts. That which isn't explained or which just filters through - to the reader as to the main protagonist and her fellow students - is the most chilling part of all.

Reflection II

. The visit to the Welsh national gallery allowed enough time to take in the Cardiff Bay development. The photo was taken at the Water Sculpture (yesterday without the water) and I wasn't the only photographer to be attracted by its hall-of-mirrors potential. It can make you visible yet invisible. A little like a blog.

More photos here.


11 comments:

Dale said...

(o)

Sky said...

"daffodils on stilts"...such fun!

i will get a copy of the book. thanks for the recommendation!

looks like you had a fabulous adventure. as always i loved the photos you shared.

mm said...

Dale: Thank you. :-)

Sky: You're welcome and I'm so glad you followed the link to the Flickr photos. I didn't mention in the post that it was the Welsh national day on Saturday and so daffodils, the Welsh national flower, were everywhere .....

herhimnbryn said...

Thankyou for a post chock full of info and images and links. I wondered too why thay weren't holding hands! A new artist to me, so it was good to look at ohter pieces by him.

And I thought the Welsh prefered the Leek to the daffodil;)

mm said...

HHB: Glad you liked it. I have fond memories of your posts and photos on St Fagan's .....

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm looking forward to reading never Let Me Go. At his best Ishiguro is one of my favourites.

mm said...

CGP, this is only the second Ishiguro I've read - the first being Remains of the Day, post seeing the film. Perhaps I need to read the ones inbetween ...

Dragonstar said...

I love your shot of reflections - beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning Ishiguro's book. I want to read it now. I loved all his earlier books but was disappointed with When We Were Orphans and I never looked up Never Let Me Go.

mm said...

Dragonstar. Thank you.

hh72: I was riveted by NLMG. the beginning goes at a slow pace but stay with it.

Zhoen said...

I've been waiting for a new post, relying on the RSS feed... that I didn't properly bookmark. What a wealth of lovely photos to catch up on.

I like smaller museums. Toledo, Ohio has a really lovely gem of one, too. Human sized, memorable.

About Me