
Photohunters theme: Old Fashioned.
With two additional rooms to furnish I’m keeping my eyes peeled these days for pictures and wallhangings that I like and which fit into the budget. Attracted initially by the carving on the frame I spotted this delight yesterday, hidden behind a pile of other donated pictures and assorted bric-a-brac in a local charity shop. The tattered, yellowing label on the back reads:
RACKHAM, Arthur (1867-1939)
“A Midsummer’s Night Dream”
Original Colour Print. 1908.
A quick search on Google and I found an alternative name for the print: Fair Helena.
Standing alone and watchful in the midnight wood she is discreetly sensuous, this Helena. The gauzy fabric of her robe is draped to show her figure to advantage. Tall and elegant, rather Edwardian with her bare shoulders, plunging neckline and mass of upswept, slighly dissheveled hair, she possesses more than a hint of Pre-Raphaelite wildness.
I remember hearing of Arthur Rackham as a child but can't remember where and when. I’ve just spent, or perhaps wasted, a fascinating couple of hours following links on the net and discovering what a talented and imaginative illustrator he was.
Have I made a profit on my purchase? Possibly. I paid £2 and from its condition this particular print looks to be an old one. Prints of Fair Helena seem to be selling for around US$70 online and I will ask C, a professional artist, for her opinion. Helena's not for sale though; she hangs above my bookcase, spreading enchantment. I must re-visit A Midsummer Night's Dream.
11 comments:
Both favorites of mine -- Rackham, and the Dream. & both easy for me to associate with you; I like the thought of Helena in your house.
Ah! Nothing like a good find at a charity shop!!
that is really neat old painting.this is one great finds..;)
Mine is here take a peak if you have time..;) Happy Photo Hunting!!
such fun! i love days i spend browsing through charity shops. I cannot even describe the excitement i feel when i think i have found a good deal. this was a great find, m! and you are right - the frame is lovely.
That is so beautiful. I love Rackham's work.
PS - welcome to the Hunt!
Thanks everyone and welcome to the Photohunters.
Dale: I just knew I had to have her ....
CGQ: I agree!
Liza: Thank you.
Sky: I might have overlooked it if it hadn't been for the frame.
Dragonstar: Rediscovering Rackham has been a bonus in all this.
I love Arthur Rackham's work - I had a couple of posters of his paintings when I was young. Wonder where they went?
I love charity shops too...
So, there she was hiding in the charity shop, just waiting for you.
A beautiful find mm. I think she will be happy with you.
Rackham was magical illustrator. His images for A Midsummer Night dream are truely ethereal.
Another Arthur Rackham fan here. In fact, I have found some of the illustrators were truly excellent artists and under-rated at that time. N.C. Wyeth,Edmund Dulac and Howard Pyle are more I like.
Good tips, Neith. I will do some investigating on the net.
Incidentally I bought Helena home the day Venus crossed into my 4th house. I like the synchronicity.
Post a Comment