Time and place

Thursday, 24 January 2008

48 Hours (Updated)

In the last 48 hours the following has happened:

a) I've had a severe stomach upset (following a dodgy jacket potato and tuna mayonnaise from a previously reliable stall in town).

b) The hot water tap in the kitchen jammed yesterday evening. A high pressure stream of hot water thundered into the sink and spilled over onto the floor. I tried to turn the stopcock under the sink to stop the flow but it was too stiff. I phoned three emergency plumbers and none could come out till this morning. After an anguished phone call a friend's husband (thank you, T and C, thank you, thank you ) came over at 8.00pm and shut off the faulty tap. He will buy and fit a replacement on Saturday.

c) On T's departure I switched on the gas boiler which I had closed down when the flooding started. After half an hour it was apparent that there was no hot water or heating. I rang British Gas at 9.00pm yesterday and they arranged for an engineer to call this morning.

d) We had a city-wide electricity power cut this morning just as the engineer arrived. He was sorry but he was unable to do anything without power. I rang British Gas at 11.00 am today when the electricity was restored and an engineer will call again tomorrow.

e) I have a job interview this afternoon

I think Mars retrograde has something to do with all this, but that's just me.
I don't know what I would have done without T.
Taking out Three Star insurance cover on the boiler was a good idea.
I'm thankful for two fan heaters and an electric shower.
British Gas's efficiency has been a pleasant surprise.
If I get this job it won't be because of my calm demeanour.

This afternoon I'm in a state of mild shock at how fragile the structure of my so-called self-sufficiency actually is. It's perilously easy to take so much for granted - good health or utilities or whatever - for so much of the time. I'm contemplating our mutual interdependence. No exceptions. None.

Update: I got the job.

11 comments:

Dale said...

oy oy oy

My God.

But you know, none of us is independent, not really.

xoxo

mm said...

Oh Dale, I know. But telling myself that I am has been one of my survival mechanisms for so long ....

Thanks so much for the good thoughts.
x

herhimnbryn said...

Sod, sod. I hope you are feeling ok. I hate it when utilities expire and you KNOW the drill, but things like stiff taps will not let you sort things out.

Congrats on the job. Now heave a sigh and be kind to yourself :)

Barbara said...

Too too much all at once. :(

But ... Congrats on the job, I hope it will be a good one.

Sky said...

yippeeeeee! congrats on the job.

i hope your tummy is better.

gosh, days like you describe seem like a roller coaster that never stops. so glad you found help along the way.

yes, we need each other. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about the job. Now I hope your mechanical/home issues will get righted and there'll be smooth sailing, at least for a while!

tarakuanyin

mm said...

Thank you everyone. The good thoughts are very much appreciated.

HHB: Sod is indeed the word but also Phew. Several large sighs heaved.

Starnitesky: Too much too quickly. Exactly my feelings on the matter. :-)

Sky: As always. Thank you.

Tky: I'm hoping I've dealt with a fair chunk of my 2008 quota for domestic and mechanical karma .... maybe I shouldn't say that though. :-)

leslee said...

Yikes! But congratulations! Yes, self-sufficiency is overrated, and the flipside of the humbling of finding oneself incapable of everything is finding oneself surrounded by unexpected support from friends and professionals.

At least Pluto has gone into Capricorn. Mars going direct not far behind (okay, so a little Merc retro yet to be dealt with).

mm said...

Thanks Leslee. Pluto in Capricorn ... hmmm.

Anonymous said...

yeehaw on the job :) at least i think it's yeehaw. is it? looking forward to details . . . :)

mm said...

Kate: It's yeehaw :-). Thanks.

About Me