Time and place

Saturday, 1 December 2007

Becalmed

The Wye at Rotherwas 4

Waiting for work.

I walk by the river and across the fields. I take photos. I knit. I meet up with friends in town for coffee and a sandwich. I shop for groceries. Latterly I wrap presents and write Christmas cards. My attention span has shrivelled this past year so - sadly perhaps - reading isn't on the agenda. An inward, reflective time nonetheless.

There is at least one job interview in the offing so the period of quiet is unlikely to last. I've needed it; the actual move was in a way the easy part, the emotional and mental assimilation of the new life in new surroundings is taking much longer. My longtime friend and mentor, J, who knows about these things told me to allow three years. OK, I said at the time, not really understanding what he meant.

A few months ago I had my second Saturn Return. As a new cyberfriend, an astrologer, wrote in a recent email.

...Perhaps one of the joys of being past one's Second Saturn Return is a renewed appreciation of the small things in life.

Yes. There is also an - unfamiliar - degree of acceptance, a letting go of a few of the multitude of expectations. A willingness to let life unfold, to let my niche here reveal itself in its own time rather than frantically running around looking for it. I've been reflecting on love as well. The idea of falling in love again is frightening, yet I think I would take the risk if the opportunity arose. Can I let that come to me? Or not. A fantasy perhaps .....

Next year I'd like to be more active in environmental work and maybe take an evening class. Get a car and do some exploring further afield. Today, though, with the approach of winter, I've cut back the roses and the lavender bush and started a compost heap. That's enough.

....

Years ago I was pointed in the direction of the Cavafy poem, Ithaka.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you're destined for.
But don't hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you're old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you've gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you'll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

The complete poem can be found here.

9 comments:

Everydaythings said...

I have that very poem in my journal on the front page, I thought that Ithaca was a good way to start the journal journey too. Its a very deep poem isnt it!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Love this photo! Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem!

PS: Thanks for the visiting and comment on my blog.

Diane L said...

Yes. There is also an - unfamiliar - degree of acceptance, a letting go of a few of the multitude of expectations. A willingness to let life unfold, to let my niche here reveal itself in its own time rather than frantically running around looking for it.

That's it exactly! Since I left my previous day job about 2 months ago, the unraveling of my sense of time is happening. Still need to find a new rhythm for my days but know that too will come about as it will.

So you also are a knitter?! Have you considered spinning?! I still recall the tremendous sense of accomplishment on the completion of the first sweater I knit from yarn I spun. Of course it was an utterly ridiculous project - knit a sweater in the Guernsey style on size '0' 10" steel knitting pins from my great great aunt. Now i use wood knitting needles almost exclusively. BTW, that sweater is still going strong. I've re-knit the cuffs a couple of times but that's it! :-D

Love your photos!

mm said...

Krissie: I can't think of a better poem for the start of a journal journey ....

Sonia: thank you!

Neith: Glad that this resonated for you too.

Alas, I am a very amateur knitter - having only started again after a break of many years - and I probably need to hone my technique some more before venturing into spinning. I'm really only comfortable with stocking stitch and ribbing! It does intrigue me though that you are getting such pleasure and satisfaction from spinning and I have admired the photos of your handiwork that you have occasionally posted. So, who knows, perhaps one day?

leslee said...

I think some things do get easier as you get older. Especially enjoying the small things and gaining acceptance for life. There was a recent article in the NY Times about this, I think to do with relationships in older age. Rolling with things more.

mm said...

Leslee: I found that NY Times article (what did we do before search engines??. A good reminder that old age and love are not necessarily exclusive. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

. . . just read this for the second time . . . so gorgeous . . . wsuch a lovely pic . . . your sister in Drift :)

mm said...

Thanks Kate!

GoGo said...

Good luck. Very nice post. Reminds me to be calm.

~GoGo

About Me