
The cash flow is mainly one-way at the moment, i.e. Out rather than In, but I decided that this book was an essential buy, and it popped through the letterbox at the beginning of last week.
Reading the evocative ode to grasses by Crafty Green Poet had brought the matter to a head. I know very little about wild flowers and plants. I want to become botanically literate, to learn the names of the flowers of the fields and hedgerows around here. The photo above, posted on my Flickr site in July after a morning exploring the woods, is indicative. I called it, um, Flower and Fly.
Thanks to my purchase I am reminded that the flower is Red Campion or Silene diocia, "a hairy biennial or perennial of hedgerows, grassy banks and wayside places generally" and that its status is "widespread and common". Wikipedia has a piece which indicates that the crushed seeds were once used as an antidote to snake bites, and following a link I stumbled on the wonderful National Biodiversity Network site which is now on the list of Favourites.
Then there is this photo - taken on the same day - of what I now believe to be Wild Carrot and titled, you've guessed it, Flower and Insects. Wikipedia informs me that its seeds were used as a contraceptive. I'd like to learn more about the insects feeding on the blossoms, but that's a subject for another time.
I feel like a child on Christmas morning. The new book is obviously just a starting point. It has 268 pages of different plant listings with an average of 5 per page. There is so much to learn.
Long ago and far away I made up my mind that I was no good at maths or science and more or less closed the door on all related subjects. So I've never investigated this intricate, extraordinary world that has been right alongside me, even in the concrete fastnesses of the city, and of which I am a part. Until now that is.
And it's started me thinking. What else don't I do? And why?
What other worlds are out there?
8 comments:
Thanks to the link to my poem! I like your photos. The insects on the wild carrot are soldier beetles, they are often found on wild carrots and other flowers in the same family, I've no idea why, but I always think their red uniforms look very smart against the white flowers!
. . . right?!? i've been thinking lately of how much our farmer ancestors knew . . . about planting and harvesting and canning and drying and raising animals for food and herbs for health and staying warm in winter and on and on . . . what would that have felt like? to be able to absolutely take care of your basic needs like that . . .
Interesting, I didnt know that certain flowers are capable of doing that.
I stumbled upon your blog the other day and am enjoying it immensly. Maybe it was thru crafty green poets site? Anyhoo, its a nice read - adding it to my list of daily reads!
ps I am an expat from UK.
I missed out on all that science and math stuff, too. I can skip the math, but the science is interesting! I don't know the local wildflowers and plants here most of the time, though I try to look things up in a field guide I have to New England (includes birds, flowers, insects, etc., though obviously not in detail). Enjoy exploring your new world! Maybe you could take your book along on that new bike?
CGP: I had a feeling you might know what they were!
Kate: Yes indeed. I think about that more and more these days, about how dependent we are on such things as gas, oil, electricity ....
theysaywordscanbleed: welcome! Thanks for dropping by.
Krissie: And welcome to you. Good to have you here.
Leslee: Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I think it was the Campion that as kids we used to call 'Ragged Robin'.
That's the one HHB. Thanks for your comments and lovely to see you again.
Post a Comment