Time and place

Sunday, 9 December 2007

Water, water .....

Bath umbrellas

Days don't get much wetter.

My sister and I had put this Saturday in the diary months ago. We were to meet in Bath, L travelling up from the south coast and me coming south from the Marches. On the way to the station you could see that the river had flooded, covering the watermeadows opposite the cathedral. The driving rain continued as the local train headed south to Newport and as I caught the connection to Bath.

The streets of the town were a maelstrom of shoppers and battling umbrellas and dripping raincoats. L and I headed towards the Christmas Market but couldn't cope. Too many people, too much frustration.

So we did what we should have done in the first place and descended into the Roman Baths of Aquae Sulis, the extraordinary hot springs - part temple to the healing goddess Sulis Minerva, part thermal baths. The Romans merged the existing local deity Sulis with their own Minerva and this spot on the marshy floor of the Avon, where steaming thermal water bubbles from the ground, was sacred.

Sulis Minerva

Forbidding. Sulis Minerva wearing a Gorgon face.


Sacred Spring

The sacred spring of Sulis Minerva.

Mosaics, Roman Baths

Mosaics.

Drainage channel

Steam rising. The drainage channel, taking water from the baths towards the nearby river.

The Great Bath

The Great Bath. The marks are raindrops on the camera lens.

This was my second visit to the Roman Baths and L's first. Each time I marvel at this steamy elemental world beneath our present one. The price of entry is - in my book - far too high and must deter some visitors, but I would probably pay double if I had to. Bath isn't simply a genteel, well-mannered spa. Nor a university town. Nor a consumer's paradise with excellent shops. At its core it is a holy place, a destination for pilgrims, a site of of hope where an ancient goddess was invoked and petitioned through prayer and animal sacrifices. So very different from Jane Austen and the Regency terraces. And from Santa and Waitrose and W H Smith and French Connection, .

When we resurfaced the rain had stopped. Crowds were emerging from the carol service at the Abbey. A red balloon had escaped and soared and bobbed over the Christmas market.

Red balloon

12 comments:

leslee said...

Ah, now there's a place I have been! The weather was much nicer, though (it was in late October 1985). Glad you managed to enjoy your visit despite the downpour. Funny that going someplace so wet would be the appropriate cure!

Everydaythings said...

I really miss bookstores like smiths!! Do poeple actaully go into the spring waters there or is it just there as part of a museum?

I have been waiting for a post all week and checking back and forth.... glad to hear you had such a nice outing of it. Oooh..that rain brings back UK memories for me! I dont miss that rain one bit!

Katherine said...

. . . so gorgeous . . . yes, sacred is what those photos radiate . . . may i jump thru the net and take a healing dip??? :)

Endment said...

Looks fun in spite of the rain. One of the places on my wish list of places to visit.
You are being tagged to participate in a meme Seven Random Things

mm said...

Leslee: You should visit again ... :-)

Krissie: I'm an intermittent blogger I'm afraid!

No, the public can't use the baths, tempting though they are. But you can drink the waters in the Pump Room on the ground floor.

Kate: Jump through the net anytime. There'll be a welcome at the other end!

Endment: You're right to put Bath on the list. And thanks for the tag. I'll be playing along in a few days time.

Diane L said...

Great photos. One of things I miss most living in the US, is the deep, deep sense of history places like have. And yes, the sacred feeling does comes through . . .

A treat! thanks

Sky said...

thanks for taking me along on your wonderful adventures to places i otherwise might never see. happy holidays, m, and here are my wishes that 2008 is kind to us all and filled with much joy and good health!

Elizabeth Spring said...

Could I use your wonderful photo of the 'shards' with the dark red background in my blog sometime? I'd give you credit of course. I share the site with Neith....it's a new one called NorthNodeastrology.blogspot.com
You could reply personally to elizabethspring@aol.com Thanks for considering. I love your site!

mm said...

Neith: My pleasure. :-)

Sky: The very best to you for 2008. May the coming year be happy and healthy.

Elizabeth: Thank you and welcome. I've dropped you a line by email.

Barbara said...

I haven't been blogging for a while and I am pleased to see you are posting again.

I agree it was a very wet day in Bath - how do I know? I was there the same day!

The Christmas market was too busy, my son and I retreated to the music shop, he enjoyed 'talking trumpets' with others.

mm said...

Starnitesky. Lovely to see you again. How funny! And wasn't it wet and wasn't the market far too crowded. We should have gone on the Sunday perhaps - much better weather apparently.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wonderful photos! Magic place!

Thanks for you tagged me! But, I am sorry, but for me, with my weak English it's difficult answer memes. Sorry!

Love your nice comment on my place!
Have a nice weeke ahead!

About Me