Time and place

Monday, 31 December 2007

Nine

Early morning 1

There's something about the words Gratitude List that doesn't sit well with me. Just call me awkward. It brings back memories of false expressions of gratitude uttered to keep the adults happy at times when I was a silently rebellious child. But I do see the real value of paying conscious, thoughtful attention to the good. So now and again I compile a list.

Here's mine for 2007.

1. Good health. I've had prolonged periods without it. I never forget what a gift - and a potentially fragile one - good health is.

2. My sister. She put up with her temporarily homeless elder sibling plus cat plus litter tray for twelve weeks at the beginning of the year. During this time I was never once made to feel that we were in the way, or a nuisance, or annoying, though at different times we were probably all three. I wrote her a cheque for rent which she refused to cash - it lay gathering dust on the kitchen dresser. It was a needed respite for me, a time of shared suppers, walks along the beach and good humour. She opened her home with grace and generosity and without knowing at the time for how long. I owe her.

3. Space. When you move from a cramped city flat to a 2-bedroom house on two floors, you spend a good deal of time climbing stairs and wandering from room to room. Having lived minimally for so many years there isn't enough furniture to put in all these rooms, mind you, but the guest bed was installed earlier this month.

4. Being able to walk to work. It takes about twenty-five minutes. A pleasant route, bordering the river for much of the way. After years of overcrowded Tube trains this means a lot.

5. Being able to start again. In every single minute of every day. Nothing to do with physical relocation, this one. The gift of the limitless, shining present moment.

6. Friends. Yes.

7. Sunsets and sunrises. They are spectacularly beautiful, almost psychedelic here. Look at the photo. There must be something special about the meteorological conditions - the quality of the light during the day can stop you in your tracks.

8. This blog. In 2007 I finally grasped that I write what I write here for me. The blog is a unique creative outlet, and one I appreciate. I also got rid of the sitemeter - a real act of liberation.

9. Kindness. The quiet acts of kindness that I have received and witnessed this past twelve months. There have been a multitude.

Wistfulness has crept in today, but I'm out celebrating at a friend's house this evening, the first time for several years that New Year hasn't been spent at home. May it bring you happiness and fulfillment, and hope and better times to the planet. Happy New Year.

15 comments:

K. Brobeck said...

Wishing you a year to come as apparently wholesome as this one as been!

Everydaythings said...

Happy new year to you...may it be the start of great times to come for you...I enjoyed reading your list too.

Jess D'Zerts said...

Happy new year, mm!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Good list - thanks for sharing and also your thoughts on gratitude lists! Wishing you all the best for 2008!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I also meant to say how much I like this photo!

Anonymous said...

. . . what a lovely post . . . such gorgeousness and genuinely heart felt gratitude spilling off the page . . . yes :)

Dale said...

Happy New Year!

xoxo

Sky said...

The photograph literally caused me to gasp aloud. I can't wait to show it to my hubby who loves photography. Stunning, indeed!

I am so glad we met, albeit in cyberspace. I hope one day to have a cup of tea with you, perhaps in San Francisco if not in Seattle! My sister-in-law lives in Aberdeen, Scotland so maybe it will even be in the UK!

I am grateful for many wonderful moments in 2007 and for the love and support cradling me during the medical crisis I faced. Now it seems I am on the mend, and I look forward to this new year of possibilities and adventure.

I wish you so many good things in 2008, M, most of all a continued sense of comfort and peacefulness which now seems to embrace your life. Apparently, this relocation was just what you needed to bring new meaning into your life. Happy, happy New Year, friend.

Diane L said...

Love your resolutions! And of course, completely understand what you mean about being stopped in your tracks by the quality of Light! Why else do we drop everything and run for the camera?!

Would you believe I envy you your walk to work? It seems easier to fit exercise in to the schedule if attached to a real world task . . . :-)

herhimnbryn said...

Happy and peaceful New year to you dear one.

mm said...

Thank you, my friends. Each and every one of you.

leslee said...

Happy New Year, mm! Lots of changes for you this year, and it seems all for the best. Which doesn't negate the stress that was involved! Happy settling into your new life this year.

mm said...

Leslee, I deliberately focused on the positive for this post - a good exercise from time to time I think, but yes, there was a lot of stress too. Thanks for recognising that!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! I am so pleased to read how good things are feeling for you right now. Thanks for stopping by my blog, too. It was very good to hear from you again.
Happy New Year!

mm said...

Tamar: Thank you so much for stopping by. Great to see you again.

About Me