Time and place

Thursday, 15 November 2007

First frost

First frost 3

A new friend? Perhaps. We've only known each other a month or two, C and I - not long enough to be comfortable labelling our tentative compatability a full-blown friendship. But we get on and she'd invited me for breakfast and that's a good start.

Her home is an old farmhouse about forty minutes walk away. By road it's quicker, but who would choose that option on a morning like this when you could instead follow the footpath across the meadows by the river? Muffled up in a giant parka, gloves and wellington boots, at just after eight a.m. I head east, tramping towards the rising sun.

First frost 4

It is very cold. The first frost of the winter, a translucent white coating, covers each and every blade of grass and every leaf, shrivels the remaining blackberries and temporarily renders muddy hollows rock-hard. Earth and grass are bleached to a near-monochrome and tiny crystals glint and refract the light. By now my nasal passages are tingling and the cold is starting to seep through the rubber boots. It's definitely a morning to keep on the move but I have to stop at intervals to take in this changed world.

Against the ice-blue sky streaked with thin clouds, a vapour trail, beautiful but lethal, streams out from a speck of an aircraft high, high overhead, and I wonder if the passengers waking from their unsatisfactory transatlantic doze are as dazzled by their early morning vista as I am by mine.

Apart from silent flow of the river, everything is still. The cattle that grazed these fields throughout the summer are long gone and mine are now the only tracks to be seen, animal or human.

As I head up the farm track towards C's house her black and white border collie rushes to the metal gate, barking a welcome.

....

A year ago I wasn't sure that I would be able to sell my London flat. I was temping in a financial boutique (yes, they do exist) in Victoria.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I am here.

First frost 1


More autumn photographs on my Flickr page.

12 comments:

Sky said...

thanks for sharing the morning with us. i could feel the chill in the air - your descriptions are so vivid. i am so glad you are happy in your new home. have you been bike riding yet?

Katherine said...

the image of you tromping thru the frosty morn to your friend's house is just so freakin gorgeous . . . oh yes :) kate of http://datinggod.typepad.com (fyi: your blogger comment preferences won't allow me to post as a non-blogger user :)

leslee said...

Wow, beautiful shots! Looks like a lovely place to live.

Endment said...

I want to put on a scarf and shawl just from looking at your frosted photos.

mm said...

Sky: It was an experience I couldn't wait to blog about! I have been on the bike but nothing too ambitious. It occurred to me that the last time I rode seriously was 20+ years ago so while I'm taking it carefully. :-).

Kate: Thanks. And especially thanks for the tip-off re the settings. That one got by me.

Leslee: Thank you.It is indeed.

Endment: You would have needed both if you'd been here! Thanks for dropping by.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what lovely frosty photos! I hope your new friednship blooms!

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a wonderful photos! Love the huge format of the pictures! Your blogs is very beautiful!

Dale said...

Hey. How nice to see you!

mm said...

CGP: Thanks.

Sonia and Dale: Hello again!

daringtowrite said...

Oh, what a lovely way to start a day. Almost makes me want to get up early and get outdoors with my camera. Almost. ;)

mm said...

Wenda: You would have loved it, I promise.

herhimnbryn said...

I hope the friendship blossoms M.
A beautiful walk. I could hear the frosted grasses crackling under my feet.

About Me