Time and place

Friday, 7 March 2008

Signs and Sitting

Net 3

If you are meditating and somewhere within earshot interesting things are going on, you will find your mind going there to check it out. No problem. If you do not resist the process, your attention will of its own accord return to your focus - your breath, or your own thoughts and sensations.
Lorin Roche
Meditation Made Easy, Page 123


I've been tagged by Neith with the Astroblogger meme. Variations of this have been floating around for a little while but this is a first for me. While I don't blog about astrology per se (not knowledgeable or orderly-minded enough) I am a keen amateur practitioner so, stealing Leslee's phrase, this blog has something of an astroflavour.

Here it is:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people

It's been necessary to bend the rules. Never Let Me Go was definitely the nearest book to hand, but only has two short paragraphs at the end of a chapter on page 123 and too few sentences. At a second attempt I found three sentences on page 123 of a basic beginner's meditation guide. This book's great virtue is the emphasis on keeping things simple and enjoying the practice, and given the large dollop of inquisitive Gemini in my birthchart plus a mercurial Virgo ascendant the passage quoted is particularly helpful.

Unless I'm ill or travelling I sit pretty much every morning. Just for fifteen minutes or so but it's become an intrinsic part of my day, While I'm not a Buddhist - sometimes I wish I could sign up for something but that's a topic for another post - their meditation techniques work for me. So there I am in front of my altar, the thinking part galloping into the past and future, the meditative part noticing the fact then trying to bring the focus back to the breath. Where it stays for at least five seconds.

In the silence and space thoughts and feelings rise to the surface then fall away. Insights occur and truth asks to be faced. For this quarter of an hour I am physically quiet and still even if inwardly agitated and there is comfort and strength in that. It can be very peaceful sitting at the window with the faint background sounds of my neighbours starting their days. Very, very occasionally I do approach that place that lies beyond thought. Other days there is restlessness and frustration and the whole thing seems as rewarding and fulfilling as watching paint dry, yet I'd no more leave the house without brushing my teeth than skip this.

I'm groping for a final sentence to explain why I sit. Because I must. Just because.

****

I'm not going to tag anyone but if you'd like to do the meme, with any slant or none, leave a note in the comments.

8 comments:

Dale said...

Lovely post. Absolutely.

Diane L said...

Excellent use of this little meme! Sounds like a very good morning practice too, especially for a Mercury ruled person like yourself. When I was able to walk to work, I found turning it into a moving meditation very helpful. Just taking in the scenery and the morning light and all was grounding for me.

leslee said...

Yay! Sounds like a good practice for you. I never got beyond "have to" and so meditation has never stuck for me. Yoga and walking, though, I do feel more naturally drawn to and miss if I can't get to them.

mm said...

Thanks all.

Neith/Leslee. Walking, meditative or not, is a wonderful practice. It very much complements my 15 minutes in the mornings.

Anonymous said...

Hi mm, thanks for the meme. I've decided to pick it up. The URL is linked to my name.

And yes, I now also sit because I can no longer do without it.

Dragonstar said...

I drop in every so often, and this time I thought I ought to say something.
Is everything OK with you? I hope so.
Best wishes.

Everydaythings said...

agreeing with dragonstar....are you ok over there? have popped in several times now and left wondering how you are?? ok I hope...

Blogger said...

Hello Everyone,

Below are the most recommended bitcoin exchanges (BUY/SELL):
Coinbase: $1 minimum trade
CoinMama

Earn free Bitcoins with the best bitcoin faucet rotator:
BEST Faucet Rotator

About Me