Your hand opens and closes and opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralysed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as bird wings.- Rumi
First time here. The classes are held in a martial arts centre and our room is huge with pink, squishy rubber flooring and strange pieces of black padded equipment along the walls. An air conditioner whirrs somewhere behind me. It is needed today; the weather is warm and ominously humid. On my right a young woman lies on her back, relaxing. Further over a grandmotherly type talks to her neighbour. I count heads: two men and fifteen women, all shapes and ages.
Susanna, the teacher, reminds me of an oriental dancer; her tiny frame is curvy and muscular and she exudes grace and competence. I introduce myself, something I seem to be doing a lot these days. We talk about my physical condition. I tell her I'll be fine.
This yoga differs from that of the Sivananda tradition, the one I know best. Here the postures flow into each other, almost like tai-chi. I have to concentrate hard in order to coordinate breath and movement and a couple of times Susanna comes over and gently adjusts an arm or a leg.
Let me tell you, it’s an emotional business when the body reawakens, when rigid muscles are asked to stretch and release. I’m awash with frustration at my own awkwardness and can't shake an illogical sense of having lost something irreplaceable during the months of inactivity. Tears aren't far away. What keeps me here is a belief in the power of the asanas, these tools for expansion and contraction.
It's simple. They return me to the body. To an awareness of living muscle, sinew and breath. And if I'm looking for deepest presence, this is where I start.
****
The path home after the class leads past the cathedral. Groups of teenagers sprawl on the grass beneath the lime trees and the sweet yet slightly acrid scent of the blossom hangs in the heavy air.
15 comments:
Hi Mary, I am glad you come to see me! Thank you for your compliments!
Sounds yoga is away to have much aware and also peace.
Sorry, I mean a way to have...
So glad you can do this and are doing it! By far the most common way to lose strength, flexibility, and grace permanently is by believing that you have, and letting that belief stop you from moving. (I know you know that, but as Montaigne said, "men require more often to be reminded than informed.")
All of the body is so incredibly malleable. I'm always astonished, whenever I undertake movement of any kind, at how rapidly my body responds to it.
Hugs --
A little bit at a time, just like bumping at the edge of tightness in a stretch. Also, it's always awkward learning a new type of yoga - you spend so much time thinking about how to do things and not just doing it, which can be frustrating. But eventually you'll get to that.
Sonia: A pleasure and yes it is. :-)
Dale: Oh absolutely, both the malleability and the reminding! What I omitted from this piece is how wonderful I've felt since. I'm looking forward to this week's class. It feels like coming alive again.
Leslee: It always surprises me how much difference there can be in the methods taught by different schools of yoga. It's a matter of starting over and putting to one side the mind that says " ButI've always done it this way", which is never a bad thing i.m.o. Particularly as you get older ....
What on earth was wrong m'dear? You were apparently sick for some time here.
I had a yoga teacher who firmly believed yoga is the cure for everything from the body to spirit and I know it feels hard at first to inhabit your body after a spell of illness. And of course, the pain of awakening is worth it. And the joy in your body that follows, of course.
A lovely piece, MM. (PS - My cat tells your cat hello back - but adds, as cats do, that everything is his, his, all his.)
You have inspired me dear mm. I AM going to find some Yoga, somewhere and stretch, I need to!
LJ: Don't worry. I was inactive for several months, but sick only for a couple of weeks. Thanks so much for your comment. And of course it's all his .....
HHB: do it. It's so worth it. Keep going till youfind a school of yoga/teacher that you really like. Both in London and here it took several attempts before I found a place that felt right.
I see that, although you are now far away, we are still looking at and appreciating the same things.
I admire you for commiting to Yoga!
Jean. Indeed yes, this has often been the case. Good to see you here.
Michael: Thank you. It's not that difficult really .. :-)
I thought about you tonight, wondering where you were, if you had you finally gotten settled, why I had not heard from you. I went to "A Breath of Air" for the first time in months and found this address! How happy I am to have found you again. I had expected you would send a note when you decided to blog again - I am so glad I checked tonight. We must catch up again - so much has happened to us both!
I need to get back to Viniyoga which is so healing for me - in body and spirit. Glad you are breathing and moving, saturating every morsel of your being with glorious life! :-)
Over the next couple of weeks I will read the posts here which I have missed. Soon we will spend a few days on the coast for some healing by the sea.
Hugs to you, Mary!
Mary
Glad that you have incarnated in this new blog.
Sky and Chuck: thank you so much for finding me!
Problems with my home laptop at the moment which will hopefully be sorted out by the end of the week. I'm posting this from the local library.
Hmm, I wonder if Rumi ever had a broken wrist... ;-)
Post a Comment